The Multilingual & Multicultural Center offers many programs and services to our multilingual students and families, as well as the wider Portland Public School district and our community.
- English Language Acquisition – Provide appropriate program of support to accelerate the development of academic English language proficiency of English learners.
- Make It Happen! (MIH) – Make It Happen! is a college readiness program that helps multilingual students build competitive academic profiles for college admission and financial aid. Make It Happen! AmeriCorps Site Coordinators help students take challenging classes, improve their standardized test scores, develop competitive college applications, and engage in leadership, community service, and professional development opportunities. To provide academic and language acquisition support, MIH! pairs English Language Learners in grades 8-12 with volunteer academic coaches. Volunteer academic coaches work with students from countries all over the globe.
Currently, there are six centers that serve middle and high school students. Volunteer academic coaches work with center site coordinators and meet with students weekly throughout the school year to provide homework support, reading and writing enrichment, math and science tutoring, and activities that promote critical thinking, goal setting, and organizational skills.
- World Language – World Language is our newest program that launched Maine’s first public Spanish Immersion program for Kindergarteners. The World Language program supports Portland Public Schools' vision of preparing students to participate and succeed in a diverse and ever changing world by providing opportunities for students to develop proficiency in a language other than English, deepen their appreciation and understanding of other cultures, and gain insights about their place in an interconnected world.
- Multilingual Summer Program – The Multilingual Summer Academic Program is a four-week intensive summer school for ELLs. The goal of the program is to maintain and further develop English language reading, writing, listening, speaking, and comprehension skills gained during the school year. It is a hands-on, developmentally appropriate, and child-centered program with field experiences.
- Family Welcome Center – MLMC accommodates the unique needs of immigrant and refugee families in Portland by providing a centralized system of student registration to ensure data information accuracy, student English language proficiency assessment, and health screening.
- Language Access - A talented team of bilingual and bicultural Parent Community Specialists provide outreach and services for limited English-speaking parents in the Portland Public Schools through a variety of ways, including Translation and Interpretation Services and Parent Advisory Council (PAC) Meetings.
- Professional Development – Professional development staff work with the District’s English Language Learner and Content Teachers providing ongoing training and workshops including access to a professional development library focused on cultural competency and more.