Helping Multilingual Families Register for School
John Patriquin/Staff Photographer at the Portland Press Herald
The Family Welcome Center offers support for families who are adjusting to a new city by assisting with registering their children for school. Registrations are by appointment only. Interpreters are available upon request.
To make an appointment to register your child for school, please call (207) 874-8135.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Who must come to the Family Welcome Center?
All families who speak a language other than English at home should register their children for school at the Family Welcome Center. Even if your child speaks English at home, he/she should register for school here.
How can I make an appointment for registration?
Please call 874-8135 to make an appointment. Appointments take place on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays.
What happens during the registration process?
What should you bring to the appointment?
- Assistance with registration paperwork.
- Interview students and parents/guardians to gather information regarding linguistic, cultural, and educational background.
- English language assessments to determine eligibility for English Language Learning Programs in Portland Schools. Based on results, placement recommendations are made and parents/guardians may choose to accept or decline services offered.
- Health screening- a school nurse checks students’ vision, hearing, height, and weight. If further testing is needed, the nurse will schedule appointments at appropriate health care facilities.
- When all appropriate information is gathered and health clearance has been issued, appointments at schools are made, and students files are promptly delivered.
- Birth Date Verification
- Immunization records
- Proof of residency (telephone, electric, or cable bill)
Where is the Family Welcome Center located?
The Family Welcome Center is located at 353 Cumberland Ave in Portland. For directions to the Center, please click here.